After School & Breakfast Club Programs: Revised safety procedures during COVID-19
Dovercourt will continue to provide programming to children during the after school hours, from school dismissal until 6:00pm on every school day. As a HIGH FIVE accredited organization, Dovercourt remains committed to a high-quality standard that is child-centered and respects the emotional, social, and physical safety of all children while promoting values of diversity and inclusion. Please see below for key changes to the program structure while COVID-19 precautions remain in place, and until further notice.
- A supervised walking school bus is provided for students at Broadview Ave Public School and Churchill Alternative School. Where other bus or van transportation is arranged, Dovercourt staff will greet the bus at Dovercourt and check the children into the program upon arrival. Dovercourt will no longer provide chartered school buses from any schools.
- Should a child not arrive at the expected time, a supervisor will phone a parent within 15 minutes to ensure the child is accounted for.
- A healthy snack will be provided and children will eat in their designated spaces at the designated times. Snacks brought from home should be in an easy-open container. Small, refillable water bottles are recommended as water fountains are available for re-filling only. For the time being, plastic bottles of water will be provided to all children. The Café/Canteen is not available for purchasing snacks. Vending machines are also not available.
- Indoor shoes are not required at this time. This will be revisited when the weather turns.
- Program activities will be outdoors as much as possible. All children should arrive prepared and dressed appropriately for the weather.
- Children who exhibit COVID-related symptoms will not be permitted in the program.
- Parents who are unsure of whether or not to send a child in the morning should complete the self-assessment online, or the school screening online. https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- Children who are sent home from school will not be permitted into the program during the afterschool hours. Return-to-school protocols will apply to the Dovercourt program. Where a child is deemed healthy enough to attend school, then they will be assumed healthy enough to attend the program. Where a child is asked to remain home from school, they must also remain at home after school.
- Dovercourt will not provide individual refunds, pro-rated refunds, or account credits for missed days. Regular withdrawal policies apply. In the circumstance of a prolonged school closure, account credits toward future payments may be provided across the board. A school closure will be considered prolonged if it lasts more than 5 days.
- Leaders who are exposed to a confirmed positive case of COVID will be asked to remain at home until they receive a negative test result, and are symptom-free. In this situation, all parents of children in that leader’s group will be notified immediately and asked to follow the direction of Ottawa Public Health.
- As the building remains closed to the public, parents who arrive for pick-up should ring the doorbell and wait outside. To reach the program coordinator, please text or call 613-850-0735.
After School program 2020-21
Update September 3, 2020:
Registration for the 2020-2021 school year program is now open and there are some spaces available.
We provide a safe walking-school-bus from Broadview Ave Public School and Churchill Alternative School. We greet yellow buses arriving from Edouard-Bond, St. Francois D’Assise, Hilson Ave Public School, Terre-des-Jeunes, and Our Lady of Fatima. We can accommodate arrival times from other locations or schools as well, as long as transportation is arranged and provided.
Quality care at a place you can trust…your community centre!
As a HIGH FIVE® accredited organization, Dovercourt is committed to developing and delivering programs that are child-centred and reflect our values of respect, diversity and inclusion. All of our program staff are trained and certified in High Five®: Healthy Child Development and our programs are evaluated regularly to ensure a high standard of quality. To learn more visit www.highfive.org.
To register for our programs or for payment related enquiries, please contact email@example.com or 613-798-8950 x 243.
For general program enquiries please contact:
Alie MacFarlane at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-798-8950 ext 276.
To withdraw your child from the Out of School Care programs, please provide 30 days written notice to our Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
Your initial payment that was paid at the time of registration is non-refundable, regardless of when the withdrawal is made. After receiving and confirming your withdrawal request, your next scheduled payment will be pro-rated to reflect the 30 day notice period.
For additional information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-798-8950 x 243.
The Program –
Kindergarten to Grade 6:
Transportation & Arrival
Transportation is provided for students from Broadview Ave Public School and Churchill Alternative School (walking school bus). For all other schools, please contact your child’s school to make bussing arrangements. All participants are met as they get off the bus and signed in with one of our Program Supervisors.
Parents of any child that does not arrive to the program will be phoned by a Supervisor immediately to ensure that the child is accounted for. If you know in advance that your child will not be attending, please let us know as early as possible.
We are excited to announce that beginning September 3rd, 2020, After School snacks will be provided by Adam’s Apple Café, and prepared with love by Rose, longtime “Dovercourt Mom”.
For health and safety reasons due to COVID-19, snack times in after school will be structured, and children will sit and eat with their groups, at tables spread out. Hand-washing will be supervised before and after, and the groups will follow similar protocol as schools for snack and meal times.
For those who bring their own snack from home, please make sure that they are easy-open containers.
Swimming is integrated into the after school program for children in all grades. Each Friday, the After School program has a swim time from 4:00-4:30pm and participants are encouraged to bring their bathing suits and towels on Fridays.
Our After School program has designated group swim lesson times. These programs last for 9 weeks and continue throughout the school year:
Afterschool Swim Lessons: Mondays, 3:30-4:20 and 4:40-5:20pm.
Participants who have registered for these specific swim lessons will be escorted to and from the pool by a staff member. Please note that we do not accommodate any other swim lessons during our program hours.
Update September 3, 2020: After School Swims, including group lessons are temporarily on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Stay tuned through the fall for a return-to-the-pool plan.
Registration is for the entire school year, and the fees below are based on a 10-month program. We offer a scheduled payment plan, with the program fee divided into 10 equal payments plus an initial registration fee. Payments can be set up using a credit card or EFT and are processed at the beginning of each month Sept-June.
Program Fees for 2020-2021 School Year: Kindergarten to Grade 6
- Breakfast Club & Walking School Bus to Broadview: full year $2630; each payment $240 after an initial registration payment of $230.
- After School Program & transportation from participating schools: full year $3800; each payment $352 after an initial registration payment of $280
New to Dovercourt?
For those new to Dovercourt Recreation Centre, the first day of After School can be as scary as the first day of school no matter what grade you’re in. For that reason, we recommend you bring your child to Dovercourt before beginning the program to familiarize him/her with our centre. Many of our participants get to know Dovercourt through our open and family swims or just coming to play on the play structures in the park. If you are interested in one of our childcare programs or have questions, please feel free to call us or come in for a tour and see the program.
Snow Days & Bus Cancellations
In the event of school bus cancellations or snow days, all our programs (before/after school) will remain open. Although busses are not running, parents are welcome to drop their child off at our center during program hours. We will still run a walking school bus to/from Broadview and Churchill.
Please note that on snow days, we too have staff who may not be able to attend work, so we will run modified programming for the day. Kids are not allowed to spend the whole day here; it is not a PD Day. They can only attend during the hours of the program that they are registered for.
In the event of school closures, Dovercourt will make every effort to provide full-day programs for the children in the After School and Breakfast Club programs. While these programs may also be open to the public. Participants in these programs will have priority access for registration, and often a significantly discounted fee, as the regular program fee cannot be pro-rated to make up for lost days.
Kindergarten & Grade 1-6
Start your day in a healthy way!
Breakfast Club includes a healthy, fun breakfast menu and exciting activities to get up and moving in the morning. Children are provided lots of choices in the morning with opportunities for quiet play, reading and games as well as active games and sports. Some favourite activities include LEGO® building, Beyblades®, bracelets and Perler® beads. For those who have energy to burn before school, the gym is open for active games such as indoor soccer and last year’s favourite: Scooter mini-stick hockey.
Update September 3, 2020
We are excited to announce that beginning September 14th, 2020, Breakfast will be provided by Adam’s Apple Café.
A supervised walk to school is provided for students from Broadview Public School. For all other schools, please contact your child’s school to make bussing arrangements. After a fun walk from Broadview school, our program staff will accompany the kids into their designated schoolyards and will remain until the outdoor teacher arrives to take over supervision.
Our Out of School flyer, reflecting pre-COVID programming.