Our New Executive Director
Sureen Gosal named new Executive Director of Dovercourt Recreation Association (DRA)
June 13, 2022 – Ottawa ON – The Dovercourt Recreation Association (DRA) Board of Directors is very pleased to announce that Sureen Gosal will become the next Executive Director, starting July 4, 2022. He will replace John Rapp who retired last month.
“The Board is thrilled to welcome Sureen to the organization. Sureen’s experience as well as his business and leadership skills will serve the organization well into this new chapter,” says Lynn Sarkozy on behalf of the DRA Board of Directors.
The Board collaborated with Lupiano Executive Search last Fall to begin the extensive search for a new executive director. Qualified applicants from right across Canada were considered for the role. As part of the process, the Board developed a new work description for the position to align with the current climate and the modern needs of the DRA community.
Sureen has extensive experience at a senior level working in the not-for-profit sector and has demonstrated to be a community builder for numerous years. Sureen has a degree in business and entrepreneurship from Mount Royal University in Alberta. He departs his role as the Executive Director of the Ottawa Gymnastics Centre (OGC), Canada’s oldest operating not-for-profit gymnastics organization. Passionate about volunteering, he has also occupied many roles with swimming organizations in Alberta and BC.
“I am proud and honoured to be joining Dovercourt and look forward to serving the community with the outstanding team at the DRA,” says Sureen.
Sureen lives in the community with his wife (Preeti) and their two young children.
DRA, since 1983
Dovercourt Recreation Association (DRA) is a not-for-profit, charitable organization (Registered Charity No. 11944 4263 RT0001) dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community through recreation programs.
In 1983, the City of Ottawa began work on the planning of a new community centre to replace the Westboro Community Centre. DRA was actively involved in the process, and when the new centre opened in 1987, Dovercourt was given the responsibility of managing the new centre through a service agreement. While we are part of the City of Ottawa’s recreation system, DRA is empowered to choose what programs it runs to meet the community’s needs, and how those programs are delivered.
Staff, volunteers, clients, local community groups and businesses working together…that’s Dovercourt.
“A Community Working For the Community, Une communauté qui travaille pour la communauté”.
Dovercourt Recreation Association was Eastern Ontario’s first HIGH FIVE Accredited organization, providing the highest standard of recreation programming for children in Ottawa. Children will find HIGH FIVE® certified leaders in every Aquatic, Recreation, Camp and After-School program.
For our hours of operation, location etc, see the Contact Us page.
- Our Mission, Motto, Approach and Vision (pdf)
- Our Client Code of Conduct (pdf)
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Large print version of AODA (pdf)
- By-laws of the Dovercourt Recreation Association
For a text-to-voice version of these pdfs, open the files in Adobe Acrobat Reader (get it here), go to the View menu, and select “Read out Loud” to have the file read out loud. Once initiated, there are controls to pause & play.
- Although we will make every effort, we cannot guarantee that this website will always be error-free.
- Any personal information provided to Dovercourt Recreation Centre will not be shared with anyone outside.
- The e-mail addresses that make up our mailing list are not shared with any other organization for any purpose.
- Credit card payments are made on secure pages of an external site.
- General information about web users is collected for website traffic reports. These reports do not reveal the personal information about any individual user.
- Our website, www.dovercourt.org, contains links to other sites. Dovercourt Recreation Association does not claim responsibility for the content, usability or privacy policies of other websites.
- All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by Dovercourt Recreation Association or other individuals or entities. Any reproduction, retransmission, or republication of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless Dovercourt Recreation Association or the copyright owner of the material has expressly granted its prior written consent to so reproduce, retransmit or republish the material. All other rights reserved.
- The names, trademarks, service marks and logos of Dovercourt Recreation Association appearing on this site may not be used in any advertising or publicity, or otherwise to indicate the organization’s sponsorship of or affiliation with any product or service, with the organization’s prior express written permission.
- This website provides information and services in furtherance of our mission. We make no representations about the suitability or accuracy of the information on this site for any other purpose.