Read about the many events that take place at Dovercourt Recreation Centre.
Saturday Nov. 4, 10am-4pm - e-Waste drop off at Dovercourt
Bring your e-waste to Dovercourt, with Junk that Funk.
Last Event of 2017! Recycle your old electronics. Last call! Keep those old gaming systems, tube tv's and old computer's out of your basement and drop it off! This Saturday at Dovercourt Rec Centre (411 Dovercourt), at our upper level driveway. Anything that plugs in or runs on batteries, including:
Saturday Nov. 4, 9-10am - Fitness Fundraiser for Annie's Swim
Join us for a fun-filled interval class to raise money to support "Annie's Swim", a free swim for the disabled at Dovercourt (the only such swim in Ottawa). This swim is named after "Dover-kid" Anne Vivian, who took comfort in the warm waters of our pool during her courageous battle with brain cancer.
By Donation at Dovercourt Customer Service or online at www.youcaring.com/annies-swim.
Upstairs in the Ottawa Physiotherapy & Sports Clinic room/ Assembly Hall. There will be refreshments after the class. Thank you to our generous sponsors: Maverick's Donuts, Dovercourt Recreation Centre, Bridgehead Coffee and Lapointe.
Saturday Nov. 4, 10:30-12pm - How to install & winterize a rain barrel
This free, hands-on workshop provides a step-by-step run-through of everything you need to know about how to install and successfully use a rain barrel year round. Register here on Eventbrite
One lucky participant from each workshop will win the demonstration rain barrel kit to take home!
The workshop covers:
- Tips for selecting the best location for the rain barrel
- How to property install a rain barrel
- Proper rain barrel maintenance and winterization
- Where to direct water overflow and winter bypass
- Common problems and trouble shooting
The workshop will be led by Sharyn Inward Director of Water Programs with Green Communities Canada along with Richard Brown and Melissa Clark from local business Urban Turf to help with the installation demonstrations.
If you're interested in getting specific advice about rain barrel and downspout placement, please bring a drawing or google satellite print out of your property. This is a hands-on workshop so please wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
This workshop is offered through the City of Ottawa’s Pinecrest Neighbourhood RAIN project. See more info here: http://www.ottawa.ca/pinecrestrain
Workshops will be delivered in English. Bilingual staff will be present to answer questions in French.
Sunday Nov. 5, 2-4pm: Vernissage for Julea Boswell, Linda Street Gallery at Dovercourt -
All are welcome to attend the show opening and meet the artist on Sunday, November 5, 2:00-4:00 pm.
As part of Dovercourt's leadership team in its early days, Julea worked on creative strategies that engaged staff, community and supporters in moving the organization forward. She is happily returning now to showcase a completely different side of her creativity!
Please join us for an exhibit of colourful art by Julea Boswell who uses textiles, threads, acrylics and inks to create in a style that is improvisational, graphic, textured and fun.
Her work as been shown most recently at Quilt Canada in Toronto (2017), HighJinx social enterprise in Ottawa (2016), and Stories in Stitches II & III in Charlottetown, PEI (2015, 2017). She is a member of the Ottawa Arts Council, Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) and the Ottawa Modern Quilt Guild.
This show will help support the Dovercourt Expansion Project.
Principals’ Breakfast at Dovercourt
TBD, November 2017, 7:30-9am
Every year, we invite educators and community leaders and members to a breakfast, featuring a panel presentation and discussion. This year’s theme is “How to be a welcoming community”. Stay tuned to our website and Facebook page for the final date and panel members. For more information, contact John Rapp, email@example.com
- the Big Band Swing Dances with Grey Jazz - 6:30-8:30pm, the last Sunday of every month, in the OPTSC room, upstairs
- The last Sunday of each month is your chance to dance to the big band sounds of Grey Jazz. These old pros still have the chops, and Dovercourt has a great dance floor for you. Come out to dance, or just to enjoy the music. Admission is free, but donations to the Parkinson’s Society are greatly appreciated.
- Monthly hoop jams - Fridays 6:30-8pm
- Come out and hoop with us! A great opportunity to practice your (hula) hoop skills. Music & hoops provided for use. All are welcome. Assembly Hall/ OPTSC room, upstairs. Free. See the Dovercourt calendar for dates.
Our Annual Dog Swim - with bonus Dog Yoga class!
Sun. August 27, 2017
We had a great turnout for both the dog yoga class and our annual dog swim! It was great to meet dogs and owners alike. Thank you to our staff for organizing the event, and to Wendy who (patiently) instructed the yoga class (Wendy teaches all kinds of great classes for humans; check out TRX, aerial, aquafit, family yoga & more).
See a gallery of photos from the yoga class and dog swim here >>
- Sun. Aug. 27, 6:30-7:30pm: Our 21st Annual Dog Swim - Bring your pooch for a dip in our indoor pool. Dogs must be on a leash. Owners, prepare to get wet! Dovercourt indoor pool. Our pool is drained following this event, and is closed for 3 weeks for annual maintenance, reopening Sat. Sep. 16.
- New! Dog Yoga class at 5:30pm in the Carling Motors room! Donations welcome. A fundraiser for Marshall's Dog Rescue.